Saturday, September 02, 2006

Dutch Market

For those of you that do not know...the ethnicity of my family is Dutch Indonesian. So growing up we ate Indonesian food - good stuff! It has been quite a few years since I have had the desire to try to re-create some of the foods that my mom cooked. This last week I tried a couple of items with success and now I'm onto a Indonesian food kick.

Today we went to the Dutch American Market at 9575 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy in Beaverton, OR. It was a very exciting trip for me as I have not been to the Dutch Store in many years and where they are located now is new to me. Lots of good stuff to choose from, candies, Indo foods and the deli! Tom chose a double extra aged Gouda cheese and I found several items that will be used in some of the recipes that my mom used to cook when I was growing up and some treats to enjoy until the next time we go back to shop.

This shop is great because the owners are Dutch and they speak Dutch and a lot of the customers are Dutch and speak the language. It's been a very long time since I have spoken Dutch or at least have been around family that still speaks Dutch and I'm a bit rusty, but I hope to continue visiting on a regular basis and work on my Dutch with each visit.

Tot Ziens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...I know where you live (probably)